Saturday, May 26, 2007

Translation Notes

I’m translating Tasogare no Kishi, Akatsuki no Sora from Kodansha Bunko edition, because it seems like my country’s Kinokuniya doesn’t have the White Heart edition. No offence to anybody, but I wish this bunko edition has a better cover. It’s simply ugly. Even I could come up with a more interesting cover, honestly. I happen to like Yamada Akihiro sensei’s illustrations so it’s a disappointment not to get them.

Thank you, wonderful people who have translated other novels of Juuni kokuki and therefore become my source of reference: Andy ( Mashou no ko from Aili's Chinese translation and Kaze no Umi, Meikyuu no Kishi from Mina's translation), Eugene Woodbury (Kage no tsuki, tsuki no kage and Kaze no Banri, Reimei no Sora), Harunako (Higashi no Wadatsumi, Nishi no Soukai and Kasho no Yume-Toei, and first book of Tasogare no Kishi, Akatsuki no Sora), Meici (second book of Tasogare no Kishi, Akatsuki no sora).

I especially thank Harunako from Otyaku.com for Kanji references in all of her translations, which really helped me a lot, and even more to Eugene Woodbury for his kind help.

This translation is far from good, since I’m really not good in Japanese yet. I’m trying my best but there’s a big chance I made mistakes all over the pages. Instead ‘She chose the sword on his left and held it up towards the blue sky’ I probably took it as ‘He chose the sword on her left and then fled off into the blue sky’ or something even more incorrect. I’m also a learner in English which makes it even worse. I welcome any corrections and suggestions for this translation.

If you know other people who’ve done this part of the book please end my misery and let me know.

Happy reading! And buy Juuni Kokuki novels so Ono Fuyumi sensei would write again.

Ajisai

Edit: Eh no, I don't think I will make that kind of mistake, but corrections are welcome anytime. I surely put 'literal translation' on the spot here.

No comments: